Widget is one of the quite important functions of WordPress. It helps you decorate or add necessary features to the interface. You can quickly add widgets to the sidebar. In this post I will Widgets User Guidecovering the functionality and usage of widgets in WordPress.
Depending on the theme, your WordPress site supports widgets or not. This article only applies to interfaces that allow sidebar customization.
What are Widgets?
Widget is an extension created by a theme or plugin. Using widgets makes your site more dynamic, functional and professional. Depending on the interface, you can drag the display widget to many different positions.
See more: Instructions for installing themes for WordPress
By default WordPress provides you with a lot of widgets. You can completely use them to meet your needs. Below is a list of default WordPress widgets so far:
- Archives: Widget showing article archive.
- Audio: Music playback widget.
- Calendar: Widget showing calendar.
- Categories: Widget showing a list of categories.
- Custom HTML: Widget showing custom HTML code.
- Gallery: Widget displaying image gallery.
- Image: Widget displaying images.
- Meta: Widget showing useful links provided by WordPress.
- Navigation Menus: Widget showing menu.
- Pages: Widget showing a list of pages.
- Recent Comments: Widget showing a list of new comments.
- Recent Posts: Widget showing a list of new posts.
- RSS: Widget showing RSS Feed feed.
- Search: Widget showing search box.
- Tag Cloud: Widget showing card cloud.
- Text: Widget displaying text.
- Video: Widget showing video.
Instructions for using widgets in WordPress
To use widgets, you need to know simple drag and drop operations. To do this, go to Appearance > Widgets and you will see an interface similar to the image at the beginning of the article. The left column is the list of available widgets as I mentioned. The right column is a list of sidebars.
To use the widget, you just need to click on the selected widget. Drag and drop that widget onto the sidebar you want to display. Or you can also click on the widget, a sidebar list will display below the widget. You select the sidebar and click Add Widget to add the widget to the sidebar.
Separate drag and drop method. If you do not know, try pressing and holding the left mouse button on the widget. Continue to hold the mouse like that and drag to the sidebar to display, finally release the mouse. Because you have to click and hold, and then release, it is called drag and drop.
After you drop the widget on the sidebar, the widget will be opened. If you don’t see the widget open yet, click on the widget and it will open. Depending on the function of the widget, the configuration will be different. After filling in the title, function options, etc., you click the Save button to save the widget settings.
Finally, you go outside the front-end to see how the widget renders.
Above is an article on how to use widgets in WordPress. Hopefully through this article you will know how to use widgets to make the interface display more beautiful. In addition to the default WordPress widgets and themes provided. You can also search for more widget plugin on the WordPress homepage.
Please leave your comments to discuss with everyone. Good luck.